Wednesday 6 January 2010

MY WORLD IN THE SCOTTISH BORDERS and WELCOME TO IT. (At the moment you really are welcome to it)




I opened the curtains this morning to a beautiful day in Alaska. Or so it seemed.
Evidently last nights snow was excessive even by Scottish standards. I don`t think that I would be exaggerating to say that 3 feet of snow fell during the night.
The next couple of hours or so were spent digging my way around the bungalow and my neighbours bungalow. Jock, my amazingly independent next door neighbour was as usual, reluctant to accept help, even though he is 86 years old. He said that he has not died yet during the winter. Fair enough I say.

It has snowed at least 3 times since this picture was taken and as I write, it is now snowing again. No vehicles have moved on our road all day, and the Police issued a warning that all roads in the Borders area were closed.

Meghan, my Border Collie thinks that the snow is good fun, so good in fact that she brings great dollops of the stuff indoors with her, much to the chagrin of my better half.

Our flock of starlings sparrows, blackbirds and wrens are queuing up at the bird table for food all day. I have fed them twice already today, and they still want more.

Our local Co-op has apparently run out of all the basic essentials, and is unable to receive more supplies due to the state of the roads. (all roads to our village are uphill and lorries could not gain traction even if the surrounding roads were clear) but we are all pretty much stocked up with the basic necessities so hopefully we wont starve.

I wonder how my new bees are doing at the moment. It is impossible to visit them until the snow goes. The biggest problem is that the entrance to the hives may be blocked with drifting snow, and the ventilation may be affected. this can lead to dampness which is a serious problem within the hive. The bees can normally deal with this but the amount of snow and the speed with which it is settling could possibly overwhelm them. Lets hope not. As these bees are deep within a wood, my fears are probably groundless. It is strange that even in the depths of winter my thoughts constantly stray to my bees, and particularly to the ones that were stolen.
The police phoned again yesterday to say that they still have no information as to their whereabouts but they are keeping the case open. I just hope that the low life who took them know how to manage them during the winter months.

Our forecast is for more snow tonight so the cycle of hibernate overnight and dig out tomorrow will continue.

I wish you all peace and cosiness, keep warm.

2 comments:

  1. Great post and picture David. I have a couple of neighbours in our row of 11 cottages who are in their eighties. As you say, very independent and hardy people. I guess it's having lived their lives in this area that has acclimatised them to be the stalwart people they are.

    We had one of the farm workers drive a tractor through the snow from one of our farms, Mill Farm in this case, and this lad ploughed a path through our 8 ft. wide front and rear roads so that anybody who wanted to risk getting to town could at least have a car's width gap to drive carefully through.

    These harsh conditions certainly tend to bring people together more. A sort of Dunkirk spirit, eh?

    Hope you and your neighbour Jock keep warm and safe.

    Cheers Phil and Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Phil & Pat,
    Glad that you are able to get the car out. Take care if you do drive anywhere.
    The snow ploughs haven`t reached us yet.
    We are all still on foot. (That is when we can stand upright)

    Best wishes
    David & Irene

    ReplyDelete