Saturday 7 November 2009

Meeting Thomas

My son Adrian, and his lovely wife Lucy have recently presented us with a handsome Grandson, Thomas. My daughter Alison has already given us 3 lovely Grand daughters.
They live 57 miles from us near Morpeth. Thomas lives in Hampshire. Only 420 miles away! I foresee much travelling in the future.
Adrian, who is an Officer in the Royal Navy, http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/patrol-vessels/fishery-protection-squadron/offshore-patrol-vessels/hms-tyne/commanding-officer/ was able to spend some leave time at the birth, so we took advantage to travel South to meet Thomas and have a rare family meeting.
It is genuinely fulfilling to see new family members coming along, and providing hopes and aspirations for the future. Also, we can play Grand parents even more now!
His Dad has already chosen a mountain bike for him and I am trying to locate a small beekeepers veil and a fishing rod!.
The journey down south is long but easy as long as the traffic works for you.
We make several short stops for breaks and to let Meghan (my Dog) have comfort breaks.
Our first stop is usually at the new service station at Wetherby. Both my wife and I have slight disabilities, sufficient for us to be issued with blue badges to allow us to use disabled parking bays. We only use them when we would have to hobble a distance greater than is comfortable. Whenever we can, we use normal parking spaces on the assumption that someone with greater disability needs the space more than us.
I am always annoyed at the blatant disregard that so many other road users treat the disabled bays and park their motors in them when they don`t have either a badge or disability. Our stop at Wetherby was a case in point. Even from the disabled bays it is a marathon walk to use the facilities here, and inevitably the bays are always in demand. Sure enough a red car pulled in to the bay next to us, 3 young people got out and left the driver in the car. No badge and no obvious disability noted. The driver stayed in the car running the engine to excess. I noted that the car was sign written on the door with the logo of the owning organisation emblazoned thereon. The three passengers eventually returned, to the accompaniment of loud horn blowing from the attention seeking driver, at which point I mentioned to them through the window that they were parking selfishly and that they were stopping genuinely disabled people from using the bays. The driver then hurled abuse at me and tore off at a ridiculous speed. The logo on the side of the car proudly displayed that it belonged to BBC 3 Counties Radio. I am sure that their normally politically correct position would frown on this sort of behaviour.
The chap in the car on the other side of me said that he would have come to my aid, but he had no legs!
I was shaken by the behaviour of the BBC man, and when I arrived at my sons house I looked at the BBC web site and identified the driver from a photograph on the site,as a presenter for 3 counties radio. Obviously not a good man to project the BBC`s image.
Rant over.
We did not let it spoil our day and eventually arrived in Horndean to make acquaintance with young Thomas. I wish him well in life and for the future.
It was quite something to see my son changed from his usual self into a loving and caring father. the pride in his and Lucy`s eyes was obvious to see. Irene and I know that Thomas is in the very best of hands and can look forward to a wonderful future.

6 comments:

  1. Grandchildren are our reward in life I reckon, I love watching my grown children with their babies, listening to them talk about how brilliant they are - never a smarter or handsome baby has there been !My lovely Dad` name was Thomas - bless him, now my first grandson is Elliott Thomas - I love that name.
    People here park in disabled parks when they shouldn`t, gets right up my nose. I have been known to have my say, especially after having both hips replaced 2 years ago, not having a special sign as I thought I wouldn`t need it for long, finding it quite difficult to hobble on crutches for any length of time and having to fight for a park close to amenities.I ended up getting friends to do my shopping until I could walk properly.
    I hived another swarm today, got stung for my troubles,but I was pleased to have my 3rd hive up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that the people who abuse disabled parking areas do not, themselves, need them in future years.
    They may possibly reflect on their selfish attitude, should that happen.
    Grand children are wonderful and they have the advantage that you can give them back to Mum & Dad at night!
    You seem to be well on your way to becoming a bee farmer. Swarms in UK have been noticeably scarce in recent years, despite the growth in the hobby.
    I noticed your interest in TB hives. I shall follow your experiences with interest
    Regards,
    David (Thistledew)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. Couldn't find your email address anywhere on your site, but thanks anyway. We've got another bundle of snow on the ground around our cottages and we have not even contemplated driving out in this uncertain weather situation. Hope you have a happy and peaceful 2010.
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new grandchild. I often get annoyed at the misuse of disabled parking bays as well. I applaud you for standing up the the BBC Presenter. You'd think he have better manners and better sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Philip, You will have my email by now.
    We are also stuck here with 3 ft of snow all over the roads. Have you noticed how much cover the south of the UK is getting regarding their snow covering?
    You do not qualify any more as a Southerner. You are surely an Honourary Scotsman by now.
    Keep safe,
    David, thistledew

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barry, Thankyou for stumbling across my ramblings. I have logged on as a follower of your blog, and wish you well for the future. Cancer is a condition that can be quite scary, but some very fine brains are working to unravel the complex causes and hopefully find ways to combat it. I am sure that you are well aware of this. I have a personal interest in as much as my son in law is a profesor of micro biology and a leading paediatric onchology researcher here in the UK.
    Please take care
    David
    Thistledew

    ReplyDelete